What it is: A synthetic copolymer made from acrylonitriles
Properties of Modacrylics
- soft, strong, resilient, and dimensionally stable
- flame retardant and do not combust
- difficult to ignite and will self-extinguish
- arc flash protection
What it is: Olefin is a synthetic (man-made) fabric that is derived from ethylene and propylene. The production of olefin is very environmentally friendly. The production process results in very little by-product, meaning that it creates nearly no waste. Also, the fiber itself is recyclable and can be re-extruded up to 10 times.
Properties of Olefin
- Wicks moisture and dries quickly
- Resists fading, mildew, chemicals, and insects
- Highly stain resistant
- Good abrasion resistance
- Easy to clean
What it is: a tough, lightweight, elastic synthetic polymer with a protein like chemical structure, able to be produced as filaments, sheets, or molded objects.
Properties of Nylon
- Thin and flexible
- Cheap to produce as well as buy
- Durability and Toug
What it is: a mixture of ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid, producing a plastic fabric
Properties of Polyester
- Resistant to shrining and stretching
- Resistant to wrinkling and abrasions
- Very strong yet lightweight
- Retains its shape very well
- Easy to look after
- Quick drying fabric
What it is: Made up of a long chain polymer called polyurethane, which is produced by reacting a polyester with a diisocyanate. The polymer is converted into a fiber using a dry spinning technique creating a lightweight, synthetic fiber that is used to make stretchable clothing.
Properties of Spandex
- Highly elastic
- Able to return to the original shape after stretching
- Fast drying than ordinary fabrics.
What it is: made from purified cellulose, primarily from wood pulp, which is then chemically converted into a soluble compound.
Properties of Rayon
- similar comfort properties as natural fibers
- able to imitate the feel and texture of natural fabrics
- Soft, smooth, cool, comfortable,
- Highly absorbent
Till next time!